Online money-making is no longer news. Everyday, people make money from the internet at almost no cost. Some people do it part-time while others do it full-time. You may be having issues accepting the feasibility of these opportunities. I too used to doubt the reality and possibility of making money online years ago, until I got more exposed to the inexhaustible money-making opportunities that are available online.
In this article, I will be explaining some of the most common and less complex ways you can start getting a decent revenue on the internet.
1. Affiliate Marketing – This one of the most common ways of making money online. This simply involves posting a link on any of your online profiles, like your social media page, blog , email or even WhatsApp. Once these links are clicked, visitors are led to distributors or manufacturers of a product where they can make purchases.
You earn a commission from the distributors or manufacturers on each purchase of product made by people directed to the products through your link. There are many companies that run affiliate programs. Amazon, Jumia, Konga, Deal Day, Wakanow, etc are just few examples. Just search for affiliate programs related to your online profile or nitch and you will find a hand-full of them.
2. Launching a YouTube Channel- A YouTube Channel helps you to create your own videos and enables you to earn money from the videos.
The videos are basically meant to educate or entertain. YouTube is owned by Google and it is the third most visited website in the world and contains the largest amount of videos on the internet. It is a search engine and database for videos.
When people view videos in your YouTube channel, YouTube places sponsored interludes of advertisements in the videos and you get paid a part of the money paid to YouTube from the advertisers. The amount of money you can make on YouTube depends on the amount of people viewing the videos on your YouTube channel. See how you can start making extra income today through YouTube.
3. Podcasting – This is another good way people are making money online. It involves making inspirational, entertaining, educational or religious voice recording which subscribers can download and listen to on their portable devices, like a music player.
However, to make money as a podcaster, you should build an online audience like from your website, Facebook or Twitter followers who are interested in the products your podcast is all about. Nurture these audience and give giving them quality podcasts, promote your products using several other means in order to let more people know about them and over time you would have built a good online income stream through podcasting.
4. E-book Sales – Creating and selling e-books is one great way bloggers use in making money online. This simply involves writing about a subject that you have good knowledge on and which readers would love to get more information about. Success in making money from e-books usually depends on how much targeted traffic you have on your blog. This implies the number of your blog visitors that are really looking for the kind of information that your blog niche is focused on. These are the people who would like to buy your e-books.
Ensure that your e-books have the right content quality. The information provided should be of value to people. There are several soft wares you can use to create e-books. However, the most common and easiest way of creating an e-book is just to type the information in word format and export the document as a PDF.
Most bloggers sell their e-books directly on their blogs or websites. However, you must not have a blog or website to create and sell your e-books. You can sell your e-books directly on Amazon Kindle without having your own blog or website.
5. Freelance writing – There are many blogs and websites that are looking for freelance writers. By freelancing, you submit articles or posts to blog owners and you get paid per number of words submitted, depending on your agreement with the blog owner.
Use a search engine to find out blogs that accept paid freelancers. Most times, these blogs would require you to submit samples of your blog posts for review and if they love your style of writing, skill, knowledge and dedication you could become a part of their team of paid writers immediately or subsequently.
Some freelance platforms include : Upwork, Freelancer, Simplyhired, iwriter, Fiverr etc.
If you want to join my team of guest writers, see the guidelines.
6. Trading of domain names – This involves the buying and selling of domain names. Domain is simply the name you use to identify a website or a blog. For example, the domain name for this blog is “www.myafribusiness.com”.
You have to buy this name ( if available ) before you can use it for your website or blog. You have to search for the availability of a desired domain name, and pay for it, if available, before you can use it. Single word and some choice double words domain names are scarce and if you have previously bought a domain name that is needed by someone, you could choose to resell it for a higher price. The worth of the domain name depends on how desperately the buyer needs it.
There are several websites where you can trade domain names. An example is :
7. Paid blog ads – This involves leveraging your online traffic and placing paid ads on your online profile, like Instagram, your website or blog.
This is the medium through which revenue is generated by the Nigeria’s topmost forum, Nairaland and Nigeria’s most successful blog, Linda Ikejis blog. These websites attractive thousands of daily visitors. Therefore, companies and businesses use this media to reach thousands of people daily with their products and services by placing targeted adverts on the website or blog at a cost paid to the management of the website.
Several factors determine the amount charged for the advert. These include: the Ad size , the duration the ad will appear on the blog, the page on the blog where the Ad will be placed. Ads placed at a website’s home page usually attract a higher charge but, it reaches more people.
8. Online stock trading – The world has advanced to online stock trading. Without seeing your broker physically, you can buy and sell stocks all by yourself on the floor of the stock exchange. You may doubt this. But I have bought and sold stocks several times online directly from the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
There are several online stock trading companies you can use in Nigeria.
Some of the most popular ones include:
– Morgan Capital Group
– Meristem Securities
– ARM Securities
You open an online account with them, then you fund your account through bank or wired transfers to the company and the money is credited to your brokerage account with the company. During trading hours of the Nigerian Stock exchange ( or any other stock exchange ) you can log into your account and trade stocks real-time directly on the floor of the Nigerian stock exchange, all by yourself!
Trading on the Nigerian Stock Exchange takes place between 9 am and 3.30 pm with 15 minutes each of pre-open and post-closing sessions. During this period, you can buy, sell and monitor the trend and volume of sales and purchases of any stock you want real-time.
For a detailed guide, see how to make money online by trading stocks at the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
9. Online Surveys – Companies carry out online surveys as a way of finding out new ways to improve their products and services. They contract these surveys to survey companies. These companies in turn pay individuals that help them to participate in the surveys.
Some of the companies that pay for online surveys include:
You register with that company and you receive survey questionnaires from time to time. You get paid per survey you do, depending on their rates.
10. Google Adsense – This is a very popular mode of online revenue generation mostly used by bloggers, but not limited to bloggers. You can use it for your several other online platforms, even on apps.
This is how it works: Adsense is a paid per click program whereby advertisers pays Google to place adverts on the blogs that are registered with Google and pays Google based on the amount of clicks on the ads by website visitors. Then Google pays a part of the money it is paid by the advertisers to the owners of the blogs or websites.
However, this isn’t as easy as it sounds. First, you have to meet Google’s criteria before Google will approve your website or blog for its Adsense program. Many requests for the program are being rejected because they fail to meet Google’s criteria. After being approved by Google for the program, Google gives you a code which you place on the back-end of your website, before Google adverts will become active on your website. You stand a chance of being suspended from the program if you violate Google’s policy for the program.
Getting approved for Adsense is not that easy for many bloggers. Many have applied many times and get rejected. There are several reasons why you application for Adsense is rejected. See 11 Tips That Will Help You Get Your Google Adsense Application Easily Approved.
The amount of money that you can make from this program is determined by the amount of traffic that your website or blog has. If you have a daily website traffic of over 1000 visitors and above, you can make a decent income from this program.
11. Consulting – If you are an expert in your field or you have a good knowledge on any subject, providing consultancy services could be a good way to earn income online.
People need guidance and information on how to carry out several tasks easily and efficiently and most of them are willing to pay to have someone guide them through or provide expert information on how to solve several problems.
When you have an online audience, you can offer to meet with clients physically to help them solve their problems or you can offer one-on-one video or online chats to provide assistance to them at a fee.
12. Sponsored posts – If you have a blog or website or even a social media page, when businesses or experts in any field discover that you have a large number of visitors to your site or audience, they can approach you to publish their sponsored articles or posts on your blog.
The blog posts they pay you to publish on your site will provide useful information or education about a particular topic, which the business is offering and in the body or end of the post, there would be a link(s) that readers can click which would take them to the contact or web pages of the businesses that are selling the products or offering the services.
Sponsored posts id one of the numerous ways of making money from your blog. See 11 smart ways you can start making money through blogging.
13. Online courses – When you have an online audience and you are an expert in a field, people can pay and register to undergo your online courses.
It’s all about properly packaging your knowledge and expertise into useful information or resource in form of quality courses and then selling the course modules.
Just like e-books, one good thing about online courses is that initially it might take some efforts to create them, however, once they are created, they continue to bring you passive income for many years. You don’t have to spend again, you just keep reaping from your upfront efforts. All you just do is market the courses to your audience.
The courses could be delivered to your clients periodically through email, videos or through a one-on-one online chats. If you don’t have a website or a blog, one good medium for creating and marketing and earning money from your online courses is through Udemy.
14. Membership site – This is a website whereby access to premium information in the website is given to only registered members. To become a registered member, you need to pay a registration fee, after wish you will given access through which you can log in to the members section to access the information you desire.
Some membership sites charge a one-time registration fee while others require members to renew their membership annually.
15. Drop shipping – This is new model of online business. It simply involves showcasing several products online ( on your website or social media platforms ). The interesting thing is that you don’t need to have these products you are showcasing in any physical store or warehouse.
Once a customer places an order from your online store, you’ll simply purchase the product from suppliers or manufacturers and ask them to ship the product directly to your customer’s doorstep. You can run your own drop shipping business from anywhere in the world. See how you can set up your own profitable dropshipping business in Nigeria.
16. Selling your stuffs on an e-commerce website – You can sell physical stuffs from your e-commerce website. Just like Jumia, Konga, Alibaba etc, you too can create your own e-commerce website whereby you showcase pictures of several products and visitors can place their order and you courier the items to them. This is different from drop shipping, because, unlike drop shipping you need to get the products ordered by the customers and ship them yourself to your customers.
It is not a must to have a website to do this. I have several friends that use Facebook to showcase and sell their products and services. You can use your Facebook account to market your products or create a separate Facebook page a separate Facebook page for it.
17.Online reviews – There are several businesses that pay people to review their products online. The products could be movies, books, technological devices, softwares and several other products.
These producers pay money or offer other forms of compensation to reviewers. Just search online for paid review websites and you will find several of them you can select and work with.
18. Develop and sell software applications – If you have the expertise, you could build software apps and sell it on Apple or Google Play store and as people download the free version of the app or upgrade to a premium version, you make money. There are thousands, if not millions of apps on Apple and Google Play store. Many of these apps were created by individuals just like you.
Now, do you know that you don’t have to be a software guru to be able to develop an app?
All you just need is an idea. If you have an idea of an app that will be useful to users and you are quite sure of its marketability, then you can hire developers to develop the app for you. If the app has the potential of being useful to people, Apple or Google Play store might accept the app and you start making money from each download or upgrade to a premium version.
19. Selling of photographs online – Most online users, bloggers, websites, etc use photographs for several things. Therefore, you can have a website where you display and sell photographs to people. Another option is to take pictures and sell the pictures to some websites that trade pictures.
Some websites where you can trade your pictures online include:
If you love taking good photographs, then you can convert this passion into an avenue for money-making.
20. Selling gigs on Fiverr: Fiverr is arguably the world’s largest marketplace ( a website ) for people to make money selling small services (known as ‘gigs’). You sell your services to interested persons for a fee of $5 and above per gig. Fiverr takes 20% of each successful gig income as service fee or commission.
There are countless number of gigs you can sell which may include: graphic designs, videos, music and audio, tips and advice, writing, gift items and many more.
There are limitless possibilities for revenue generation through the internet. I have shared just 20 avenues through which you can earn money from the internet. There are many other ways, but these are the most common and easiest ways. We will keep updating this post as we assess and verify more legal and viable means of marking money online.
Everyday, new ways of online money-making keep emerging. You need to open your mind and position yourself to the possibilities and opportunities ahead. However, I must say that nothing good comes easy. Online money-making is not a get-rich- quick scheme. It requires hard work, patience, creativity, commitment and dedication.
As you can see most of the ways of online making requires having an online audience. You can build an online audience through social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or having a blog or website.
If you need us to help you create a website or blog or provide any other assistance or mentoring to you, contact us.
When you have built an online presence and keep nurturing your audience by meeting their desires which could be in form of entertainment, education, information and even religious upliftment, subsequently you would have created an avenue for multiple streams of strategic income generation.
What are your views about this article? Let us know using the comment section below. If this article was of help to you, kindly share with friends using any of the social media platforms at the top or bottom of the article.
NB: Do well to join our WhatsApp group to relate with like-minded people about investment, business and money matters.