Branding can be said to have started way back in time, the idea of trying to differentiate one’s property from that of another, especially when the properties have the same function or looks exactly the same.
For instance, when children are given the same set of toys to play with, the child or the parents will mark each toy with a child’s initials, so the children can easily identity their toys in the midst of many, without struggling over who has what.
That’s where the concept of branding came in to play.
Companies and different organizations will keep having competitors, but what will keep the competitors away from their solid customers/clients is their BRAND.
Branding has come to mean different things for organizations and companies, and hence the reason for this article, on how you will achieve success with your brand.
What is branding?
A brand is a name, term, design, symbol, or other feature that distinguishes an organization or product from its rivals or competitors in the eyes of the customer.
In simple terms:
Branding is the process of creating a STRONG, POSITIVE PERCEPTION of a COMPANY’S products or services in the customer’s mind by combining logos, designs, mission statement, and a consistent theme throughout all forms of communications with customers or potential clients.
Effective branding helps companies differentiate themselves from their competitors and build a loyal customer base.
How to choose a brand for your business
When choosing a brand for your business, please don’t look for complicated names or logo that will not be easily recognizable or something that looks complex.
A complex brand will not get you a right audience nor will it keep the few ones you may get.
To choose a brand you need to consider the followings:
- The name of the business: Decide the kind of name you want your brand to have.
You may use your name as the founder or the product name, initials or something that’s creative and is going to appeal to people’s mind and emotions. Be sure the name you choose accomplishes what you want it to. EXAMPLE – am a fashion designer and I want to choose a brand name for my line of fashion, I may pick the initials of my name to differentiate me from every other designer, which may be S. P. Designs which may also mean “Special Perfect Designs”
- The objective of the business : let your objective complement your brand name. Create an objective criteria of what your brand should achieve. Using the name above an objective example may be: “we design and create unique clothing, that is modest and bespoke what fashion should be”. This kind of objective lines up with the name above.
- Determine your motto: choosing a brand doesn’t end In getting a simple name, you need your customers /Clients to have something in mind when looking at your brand name. A good motto will keep your brand name fresh in the minds of your customers. Remember the 7up advert while growing up, the motto/slogan on that advert says “the difference is clear”. Up till date that slogan has stuck with many people and have fetched 7up the desired customers they need with it. Stick to good and catching slogan/motto to get the attention of your customers always.
- Choose your colors and fonts: this is where to apply good creativity, choose colors that reflects what your brand should be and a font type that signifies strength and durability.
- Know your target audience: Research about the right people for your products! Know Who your target market will be! Know what will move them and how much they are willing to pay to get your products and keep patronizing your business. Using the above example given, the target audience for the fashion designer will be people who love modest clothes and styles that are unique and fits perfectly. The designer may have to start advertising more where the target largely are. Do not forget to be specific about who need as your client /customers and build on it. Do not rush to expand your audience when you know you can’t delivery to the large demands that will come, start small.
- Design your logo: when deciding on the logo to use, remember the logo is the face of the company and you need to create a design that differentiate you from competitors. Logo’s can be informed of an icon, a lettermark, an emblem or a combination of any two. When you have created a logo, show it to colleagues or friends and ask their honest opinions about it, this will help you get an idea of how the logo will be in the mind of customers.
How to build your brand
As a growing business, you have competitors that are big brand names already with their enormous customer base, but do not be discouraged, this is where you have to make a difference by being unique and stand out, so as to thrive no matter how the market odds looks.
A well-loved brand is the best asset to a company, do not forget this, and Building your brand requires effort on your part and CONSISTENCY.
- Be consistent in the quality of products you offer: don’t reduce your standards simply because you have gotten the patronage you need or you have become well recognize.
Use Coca-Cola as a motivation to be consistent, with the wide reach they have in the world, the founders haven’t said the color should be changed nor the quality reduced to accommodate more sales. Being consistent helps you gain loyal customers and that will bring you more referrals.
- Be the best you can be to achieve results: in production or service delivery to clients/customers, keep to your good etiquette.
- Follow due process: truth be told building your brand does not happen overnight, don’t expect it to pop up and be “Wow”, branding takes due and diligent process to become the brand name you want it to be, stick with any process that gives you results and work towards achieving more results in it. Following a good process leads to you having lasting relationships with customers. Which will lead to a steady increase in sales, projects, referrals, and advocacy for your products or services.
- Advertise Effectively: every business needs advertisement to succeed and grow, no matter how small that business or brand is LEARN TO ADVERTISE IN YOUR LITTLE WAY. this will boost the image of the business across various platforms and media it comes to. There are so many platforms to advertise and boost your business and achieve success, using simple Ads tool like, using social media platforms.
- Using social media platforms : this feature on your Facebook page will help you decide the kind of people you want to reach and how many they will be. Almost everyone use Facebook, with or without their permission Facebook posts ads on their timeline for them to see and that way if it’s of interest to them, they click to see more. Instagram ads too work well with pictures and little catchy write-ups to go with it. Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn (another powerful advert pool) And so much more.
The high point for every brand is highlighting your STRENGTH AND STRONG POINT you have over competitors and convincing customers to choose you above them.
Extra tips: check out your two topmost competition and study them very well to see reasons why they top the cart, look out for weaknesses too.
This will motivate you and enable you to strive to succeed in that field.
A successful brand has to do with consistent communication of your products and the experience you apply while dealing with different clients.
Apply all the ideas I have laid out in this article and you will build a great brand. Remember, brands sell products and not vice versa.
A step in the right direction can be the only push you need for success.
Branding is just one aspect of marketing. There are various other things you need to know about marketing , in order to achieve business and entreprenuerial success. You need to get our e-book: The Complete Marketing Guide – How To Market Any Product As A Pro, which contains everything you need to know about product and digital marketing.
About The Writer : This was written by Salome Precious, senior content developer at MyAfribusiness.com. She is an accountant by training and a business enthusiast by passion.
You can write for us
Yes, you can write for www.myafribusiness.com. There are many benefits associated with writing for us.
See the guidelines for becoming one of our content contributors.